CT - Saybrook Inner Light and Lighthouse Tender Cactus Night Light
This colorful and haunting image reflects the occasional calmness that river lights can present at twilight. Inner Saybrook Light's location though, belies the strong currents that confront those who's livelihoods depended on navigating this stretch of the Connecticut river.
At the beginning of the 19th Century, boat traffic along the Connecticut, and the commerce it carried, had reached a point where the townspeople of Old Saybrook, Connecticut felt the need to petition Congress asking that a lighthouse be built where the difficult waters of this New England river meet Long Island Sound.
The land was purchased from a man named William Lynde which is why the beacon was originally called Lynde Point Light. The light's early decades involved many challenges including strong storms and currents that undermined its base and a general belief on the part of local mariners that its beam was insufficient in strength.
Finally in 1838, after an inspection found the tower's structure in an advanced state of decay, the light tower was replaced with an octagonal shape tower very much like the lighthouse at New London and at a new height of sixty-five feet.
Shifting sand bars at the mouth of the river necessitated a series of breakwaters being built on the east and west side of the entrance in the 1880s and on the end of the west breakwater a new smaller lighthouse was created called the Saybrook Outer Lighthouse. Not surprisingly, what was once the Lynde Point Light soon became known as simply as the Saybrook Inner Light.
Plastic Frame and Body
4 watt bulb included
Glow vent casts light upward
Adjustable tines to fit any socket
Approximate Night Light Dimensions 4.125" (w) x 3.375 (h) x 2.5" (d)