Cuttyhunk Light, Elizabeth Islands, MA Night Light
Cuttyhunk is the largest of the Elizabeth Islands and is located south of Buzzards Bay and north of Vineyard Sound. It was first discovered by Bartholomew Gosnold from whom the town drew its name.
Gosnold named Cape Cod for the abundance of fish he found there and Martha's Vineyard for both his daughter Martha and the abundance of wild grapes found there.
Cuttyhunk's location, along with maritime traffic in these waters and the treacherous Pig and Sows Reef nearby, made it a critical location for navigational expertise.
Prior to a lighthouse being built, pilots familiar with the reefs would look for approaching whaling ships by telescope from atop the town's hill before racing down the hill and into small boats to get to these ships and earn their pay.
Cuttyhunk's lighthouse was first erected in 1823 and a new light replaced it in 1891. The isolation and hard weather made life difficult for keepers and their families and they were many times witness to shipwrecks and the tragic loss of life they involved, including the loss of the Vineyard Lightship with all hands in a hurricane in 1944.
The lighthouse was taken down in 1947 and replaced with a tower and white flashing light. All that remains of the image shown here is the Gosnold memorial.
Plastic Frame and Body
4 watt bulb included
Glow vent casts light upward
Adjustable tines to fit any socket
Approximate Night Light Dimensions 4.125" (w) x 3.375 (h) x 2.5" (d)