- According to Island tradition, baseball was played on Nantucket well before history records it as having been invented by Abner Doubleday.
- The "Society of Town Ballers"created a four-team league i the 1830s with players from whaling ships, their family members and neighborhood players.
- The ball was made of baleen strips from a whale wrapped in the rubbery skin of its flipper. The bats were derived from Wampanoag war clubs refashioned to a friendlier purpose.
- The league thrived in the years when the whaling industry was booming and drew great crowds to the games to watch local whalers and baseball players enjoy a bloodless pastime in warmer months.
- The scene shown here is on Cliff side and it seems like a beautiful day for a ball game.
- Plastic Frame and Body
- UL listed
- 4 watt bulb included
- Glow vent casts light upward
- Adjustable tines to fit any socket
- Approximate Night Light Dimensions 4.125" (w) x 3.375 (h) x 2.5" (d)
- Interior Image Area 3.5" (w) x 2.75"(h)
We accept payments via Credit Card and PayPal.