- A simple way to recognize a skiff from a dory is to see the floorboards. A dory's floorboards run vertically. A skiff's horizontally. A dory is somewhat harder to balance in for someone inexperienced with such a challenge. A skiff is more stable. A dory is suited for rowing in seas. A skiff for calm harbors.
- The dory shown here is ideally suited for both carrying several hundred pounds of cod or haddock and being relatively safe in Nantucket's difficult waters. Dory fishermen would bait hundreds of hooks on four to six lines and hours later, reel in catches that would test the buoyancy and strength of the boat's design. That design would also save lives when the weather would turn against them.
- Here are the words of Nantucket dory fisherman Arthur McCleave (1876-1964) on one such close call as recorded in an interview in 1959 that was published five tears later in the magazine Historic Nantucket:
"Well, we had a few. I remember one particular. We was off Sankaty, thirteenth of January. We had four ten-line tubs out. Y'know, that's with two thousand hooks. And it come up snow squalls, the wind breezed up nor'west, and we had about four hundred fish in'er—-big codfish—-and we was just gettin' ready to dump 'em overboard. The boat started to roll and we'd fill her every time, y'know, so one man was just paddlin'. My pardner says, "Are we gainin'?" I says, "Sure." We was goin' astern all the time. There happened to be a vessel out there and he was lookin' for us. It was comin' up—-the snow squall was comin' up—-and he shot up alongside. He says, "Boys, you're takin' long chances." We says, "We know it." So we hove out a couple hundred on his deck, and he towed us in under 'Sconset. We made two trips ashore with the fish, what we had in the dory and what he had on deck, and we had to hire a horse and wagon from 'Sconset from Jim Coffin to bring part of them to town."
To read the full interview, click here: http://nha.org/history/hn/HN-fall94-mccleave.htm
- Product Specifications
- Plastic Frame and Body
- UL listed
- 4 watt bulb included
- Glow vent casts light upward
- Adjustable tines to fit any socket
- Approximate Night Light Dimensions 4.125" (w) x 3.375 (h) x 2.5" (d)
- Interior Image Area 3.5" (w) x 2.75"(h)
We accept payments via Credit Card and PayPal.