Built in 1874, Surfside was the first U. S. Life-Saving station built on Nantucket and was located on the southern part of the island.
It was built by noted island builder Charles Robinson in a style called "Carpenter Gothic" which reflects the cottage look of the time.
Men patrolled the beaches from this station for about 3 miles in each direction each night looking for wrecks.
One of the more notables rescues occurred in 1877 when the W. F. Marshall came ashore nearby and the crew and a wife and child were brought safely to the beach via a breeches buoy.
The station was closed in the 1920s not long after the USLSS was merged with The newly-formed U. S. Coast Guard.
- Plastic Frame and Body
- UL listed
- 4 watt bulb included
- Glow vent casts light upward
- Adjustable tines to fit any socket
- Approximate Night Light Dimensions 4.125" (w) x 3.375 (h) x 2.5" (d)
- Interior Image Area 3.5" (w) x 2.75"(h)
We accept payments via Credit Card and PayPal.