Bakers Island sits about three miles off of Salem Harbor and has been the location for a light dating back to Salem's emergence as a global port in the 18th century.
The thinking behind placing twin beacons on the island was always to distinguish it from other nearby lights to ships approaching in darkness.
Lighthouse keepers in the 18th and early 19th century would ofter also serve as harbor pilots guiding approaching ships into Salem Harbor.
During the War of 1812, one such keeper named Joseph Perkins spotted The USS Constitution being pursued by two British vessels. He rowed out on his keepers boat and went onboard Old Ironsides and guided her into Salem Harbor and safety.
The smaller of the two lights was extinguished in 1922.
The last civilian keeper of the light was a man named Arthur Payne who served from 1918 to 1943 when the duties were taken over by The US Coast Guard.
When the light was automated in 1972, the Fresnel Lens, which floated in a pool of mercury, was removed. The Coast Guardsmen performing the duty were overcome by mercury fumes and had to be airlifted from the island by helicopter.
The light is best seen by boat and landing on the island is not permitted except for summer residents and guests.
Plastic Frame and Body
4 watt bulb included
Glow vent casts light upward
Adjustable tines to fit any socket
Approximate Night Light Dimensions 4.125" (w) x 3.375 (h) x 2.5" (d)